Rancho Fiasco Working Terriers

We have a lot of requests for a website and this seems like the next best thing. We will post information about happenings around Rancho Fiasco including hunting stories, litters, pictures of some of our terriers and various trials and events we participate in.

Thursday, November 15, 2007

Lickity Split Tucker






A Brooke Hollow Polar son that we are very proud of.
This story is from Jim and Val Craft who live with Tucker and 2 of his pups.

Lickity Split Tucker is a breeding of Mike Bilbo and Darlene McInnes and has done very well in the Conformation ring since he was a 4-6 month old pup, and continues to this day to win numerous Best Open Terrier Championships at JRTCA trials that we attend. We are so glad they intrusted Jim & I with his care. I couldn't have asked for a dog with a better temperment, especially being a Jack Russell. A testiment to Mike & Darlene. All of their dogs have the best temperments and personalities. No doubt about it. Not many people can put 4 intact males, along with bitches running around in a yard and no problems. People are alwaly amazed that we are able to do this. It was the day after the JRTCA National trial in Maryland. I was so excited as I was going to get to hunt Tucker in the ground and see what he could do. I had decided not to really hunt Tucker on my road trip back to the Nationals, as he had done so well this past year, and did extremely well under Greg Mousley earlier in the year, and Greg was going to be the judge for Nationals. We wanted to give him every chance to do well, which he did. He came in 6th in a class of 44 dogs in his Over Rough/Broken division, and 5th in his Suitability to Red Fox class of 24 dogs/bitches.. I was very excited.We were going to hunt with Jimmy Eslinger, a Working judge with the JRTCA, from Maryland on that Monday. Being a newbie to hunting, although we had schooled Tucker and Otter at Mike's home on some quarry, this going into the ground was new to us. We were with Jimmy, his daughter Casey, and Sandy Brown. We started out on a farm with corn and soybeans fields, checking the woods that seperated them for settes. We did have a more experienced dog with us who would check the holes also. After checking many holes down a dried up stream bed with no success, we moved to a new area. Most of the holes had leaves down them, so we would proceed to clear the leaves and see if the dogs were interested. Most of the time nobody was home. The tempatures were so warm that Jimmy explained that by this time of year it is much colder, and the critters have retreated to their dens, but this warm weather has kept them outside taking in the last of the seasons warmth. Many times Tucker would be very interestd at first then back out as their wasn't a strong scent, and nobody was home. I was very encouraged with Tucker's ability to be on the ground, sniffing around, nobody telling him what to do, finding holes, and seeing if quarry was there. I knew there was a chance that we may not run into anything, but getting him on the ground was good for him. Tucker comes from a very good line of dogs that are awesome hunters in the field. We knew he had it in him, it was a matter of putting it all together. At one point, we came upon a 2 hole sette. Our more experienced dog and Tucker were on the ground together, they seemed pretty interested. Both terriers were at the hole acting pretty anxious. We cleared the leaves, 1 dog went down, only to come out the other side, Tucker was trying to get down the hole. By this time Jimmy had asked the that the other dog be put on a lead. When I asked Jimmy " What do you want me to do with this shovel if quarry comes out"? He told me, "If you see quarry, take the shovel, block the hole". Just as he said that, well their was a good size ground hog looking at me. Tucker had gone down the hole and the quarry was trying to make a fast exit. We had both holes blocked after that. This was getting interesting! Jimmy could see the Groundhog right up against his shovel, and he told me to let Tucker down the hole on my side. Tucker dove down the hole and we could hear Tucker barking and the Groundhog growling. A few scuffles, and Tucker came back out my hole, only to dive over to the other hole by Jimmy. I blocked my hole again, Jimmy took his shovel away just as Tucker dove into the hole after the Groundhog again. He didn't get all the way down before he had the Groundhog in his grip, and I'm sure a little bit of Tucker in the groundhogs mouth. Tucker was giving that Groundhog a run for his money, a few yelps and growels, and Jimmy decided that was all he needed to see. We were able to get Tucker to let go. I was so proud of him. After all of the excitment, we took Tucker to the side, looked at his wounds and scrapes. He was bleeding all over the place, he had a few punture wounds and a wound in his mouth, so we cleaned him up and he looked pretty good. He was pretty pumped up, and was probably ready to go again.As all of this was happening down the hole, I was kind of in a world of ah! I knew what was happening, but I knew Tucker would be okay. It's a very scary thing watching your dog go down holes and not knowing what may be down there with them. We took some pictures and Jimmy congratulated me on a job well done by Tucker, and said that I now have a Working dog, that Tucker had earned his Natural Hunting Certificate to Groundhog. We headed back to the car, I was on cloud 9, and Tucker was tired. We once again looked over Tucker's wounds, and decided his wounds were a long way from his heart. He would certainly servive. I decided I needed to call a few friends and tell them the good news! My first call wasn't to my husband, it was to Mike Bilbo! He has encouraed me and my dogs to get their NHC's. Every chance I get, I make a trip to Mike & Darlene's to school the dogs in their earth tunnel, with live quarry. Both Mike & Darlene are always very proud of their dogs they have intrusted to others. Mike was very excited for Tucker and I, as was Darlene. We headed back to the house, where we were met by a few folks, and all went to wonderful dinner. While at dinner, Jimmy was filling outTucker's paperwork, he handed it to me with "Congratulations", and I proceeded to hand it over to the JRTCA administrator Terri Batzer, who woud take it into the office and promptly get my Natural Hunting Certificate back to me as soon as possble. That would be a check I would gladly fill out.I couldn't have asked for a more pleasurable judge to have gone out with, as Jimmy Eslinger. Not once did he make me feel like a newbie. He encouraged my dog and myself, and answered any quirky questions I had. To me their are no stupid questions. There is allot to remember when your out hunting in the fields with your dogs, and I know I have a whole lot more to learn. So I want to "Thank" Mike & Darlene for all of your knowledge you have given me on this subject, and will continue to give me.I would also like to mention a "Thank You" to all of the Working judges I had a pleasure to meet on my trip back to Nationals. You were all great in the field, and also encouraged my dogs and me to continue to hunt! Thanks, Tim & Dawn Weiss, Illinois, Joe Shapiro, Indiana, Catherine Brown, New York, Jimmy Eslinger, Maryland, and Tyler Brown, Ohio. You are all an asset to the JRTCA and the breed. Tucker had healed up very well. He is back to his handsome self, and it will be a pleasure to lead him into his 1st Working Terrier class. He is a great little dog, I always say, I'm just along for the ride when he shows. He is a natural, and always shows with class and dignity, and a new notch in his lead, he is a "Working Dog". I'm very excited to get Tucker and Otter into the ground again as soon as I can, and work on getting Tucker his Bronze Medallion, that would be quite an honor. Once again"Thanks", Mike, Darlene, Jimmy Eslinger and Casey Eslinger.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home